- On December 9, 2020
- In Hoover Dam
20 Hoover Dam Historical Facts & Tours
Did you know that Hoover Dam stands 725-foot high from the ground and draws tourists from every corner of the world?
Build during the depression, Hoover Dam was one of the main infrastructures projects across our nation to put people back to work and the biggest one that saved America and gave men and women jobs. When folks heard that jobs were available they came from all over the US to take part in what seemed an impossible task of taming the Colorado River and redirecting the raging river so the dam could be built stretching from the Nevada border to the shores of Arizona and contain Colorado River behind its 660 ft thick walls.
Hoover Dam is taller than the Washington monument and looking over the edge is not for the faint of heart. Comparing it to one of Las Vega’s famous iconic landmarks the Luxor Hotel with its famous light beam that can be seen from space, the Hoover Dam has is twice as tall beating the Luxor by over 300 feet according to the Bureau of Reclamation that oversees the Dam.
The design of the barrel-shaped configuration is designed to cleverly narrow to increase pressure against the weight of the Colorado River.
Fun Facts About Hoover Dam:
- Hoover Dam is 726 ft. tall. That is 171 ft. taller than the Washington Monument in Washington D.C. and twice as tall as the Luxor Casino (338 ft.) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- At its base, Hoover Dam is as thick (660 ft.) as two football fields measured end-to-end.
- As many as 20,000 vehicles a day drive across the 45 ft. wide top of the dam between Nevada and Arizona.
- There is enough concrete in Hoover Dam (4 1/2 million cubic yards) to build a 2 lane road from Seattle, Washington to Miami, Florida or a 4 ft. wide sidewalk around the Earth at the Equator.
- During peak electricity periods, enough water runs through the generators to fill 15 average-sized swimming pools (20,000 gallons each) in 1 second.
- Each of the 30 ft. wide penstocks (water pipes) can carry enough water to fill 900 bathtubs (100 gallons each) in 1 second or 960,000 (12 oz.) cans of drink in 1 second.
- Hoover Dam is shaped like a huge curved ax head, 45 ft. wide at the top and 660 ft. thick at the bottom.
- Lake Mead is the largest reservoir in the USA and contains enough water to flood the entire state of New York with 1 ft. of water (26 million acre-ft.)
- If you drink water from the tap at Disneyland, Anaheim, or Sea World in San Diego — that water is coming from the Colorado River and Lake Mead, 300 miles away.
- Each of the 17 generators can supply electricity to 100,000 households.
- When operating at full power, the 17 generators can supply all the electricity needed by a city of 750,000 people.
- Each generator weighs (4 million pounds) as much as 4 1/2 fully loaded Boeing 747-400’s.
- The Colorado River is more than 1,400 miles long and supplies water to Los Angeles, San Diego, and Phoenix. Las Vegas gets almost all its water from Lake Mead. Lake Mead was made by Hoover Dam when it blocked the Colorado River and flooded the Mojave Desert.
- Between 1931 and 1936 when the dam was built, 96 men were killed in industrial accidents. None were buried in the concrete.
- The mascot dog and favorite pet of all the construction workers during the building of the dam were buried at Hoover Dam. The grave is near the Hoover Dam Tour Center and can be visited.
- It would take $2,000,000 worth of copper pennies to make the copper buses (4 inches in diameter hollow square wires) that carry electricity inside the powerhouse.
- Every state in the USA furnished supplies and materials for the construction of the dam.
- More than 8.5 million pounds of dynamite was used to blast the foundation for the dam and 8 miles of tunnels through the canyon walls.
- There are 2700 miles of transmission lines sending electricity from Hoover Dam to Los Angeles
According to legend, the first man and last man to die while building the dam were father first and his son was the last.
Hoover Dam is responsible for the generation of around 4 trillion watts per hour. Isn’t it interesting? We guess you’ve already heard about all the great things and scenic views of this place. So, now let’s come to the part where we recommend one of the best touring brokers to ensure your trip remains full of comfort as well as fun. Get to experience the best hoover dam tour by booking your next tour with Vegastours.com
Services you get at Vegas Tours
If you book a day with this agency, you get a tour of 4.5 hours, which also sometimes depends upon the package you’ve chosen. You’ll be provided with a half-day hoover dam tour, including a helicopter tour scheduled for people who have a tight schedule. If you’ve got very little time, and you wish to absorb the absolute beauty of the Hoover dam, then this package is for you.
You can get access to their services always, no matter what day it is. The best part is, everything is transparent here, and there are no hidden charges. You get all the details for which you are being charged. Who wouldn’t just love to enjoy a 10-minute adventurous helicopter ride over Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam? This allows you to get a glimpse of the whole place within a limited time frame.
What’s the point of coming to Vegas when you couldn’t take a picture in front of the ‘Welcome to Las Vegas sign? Well, don’t worry, a photo stop will be provided to the clients. Once you reach the destination, the tourists will get a VIP tour guided by the government ( selected Tours ). While you’re on your best hoover dam tour, you’ll come across some famous monuments, visitors’ centers, gift shops, and museums.
If you book a package from the Vegas tours, you need not worry about anything further. You’ll be picked up and dropped off safely at the hotel. You’ll be escorted by fully informed, courteous, experienced, and friendly guides who will provide all the necessary information about the essential places that you’ll come across. Since the spectacular views are to die for, you wouldn’t want to capture them and cherish them forever. You’ll have enough time to take as many pictures as you want.
How will your day begin?
Your day will be picked up from your Las Vegas hotel before leaving for the Dam tour. Experience the fantastic work done by the humans and the most successful project of government back then. While you enjoy the ride, your driver-cum-guide will fill you in about the place. To make sure you don’t miss anything, you’d be provided with a large vista window which allows you to soak in the beauty of nature and take pictures as well.
The helicopter tour covers Lake Mead, the Hoover Dam, and the surrounding areas within just 10 minutes. This allows tourists who have visited for a short period to make the most of it. It’s a lesser-known fact that the Hoover Dam has earned the reputation of being among the 7 Man-Made Wonders of the World. It’s strongly advised to book the package in advance as some of them get sold out too fast.
All you need to book for one of the best Hoover Dam tours is a credit card that’s valid. You’re required to pay when you arrive at the place using the same credit card, cash, or a different card. Making your reservations in advance might get you some exciting discounts. Apart from that, you can also get a time slot and date as per your liking.
The Hoover Dam is less than an hour away from Las Vegas, which allows you to make an impromptu trip to the place. If you take off for the place in the morning, you’ll be back to your Las Vegas hotel by the evening. It doesn’t even take an entire day. People who are visiting for office work or business trips can always seek serenity by getting away from the chaos of the city for some time. And what could be a better place than the Hoover Dam to fill your heart with tranquility and happiness? So, plan a trip right now with much thinking.
Now that you’re aware of all the amazing service you get from Vegas tours, we hope the next time you visit here; you’ll trust us to make your tour full of fun and comfort. Also, 24 hours cancellation is available, and it’s free if you cancel it within the given time period. Otherwise, you’ve to bear the cancellation charges if you cancel after that. If you have got further queries, contact us via mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or give us a call at 1-866-218-6877